Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Code 99

I was surprised to see so many patients today on Valentine's day. I guess they wanted to give doctors Valentine's day special workload. So when I walked in, this one nurse told me that I missed out on some crazy shit(literally). I asked her what happened. She said that there was a code 99 case at the ER few hours ago. Apparently one patient was having a cardiac arrest and everybody rushed in to save the patient. The problem was that there were at least 5 doctors and 8 nurses and the regulation says that you only need 3 people in case of patients going code 99. Code 99 refers to any potential life threatening situation such as cardiac arrest, trauma or brain hemorrhage. I didn't learn more about other codes yet.

One SI patient(yea there are SI patients everyday) yelled "I'm normal, I don't wanna hang out with these lunatics here, let me outta here!!" He was about to jump at the doctor who confined him if it wasn't for me standing next to the doctor. In his desperate attempt, he wanted to show his brilliant memory by asking me to name any 7 digit numbers and reciting them 3 seconds after I said it. Well his attempts were futile and he had to kiss his wife and daughter good night. He kept smoking while saying good bye and he was puffing his fumes on his daughter's face. I felt sorry for the little girl(probably 3 or 4 years old).