Sunday, January 29, 2006
Walkin into the Emergency Room
OK so I just left the voluntery service office and started walking down the hall. I was wearing a white polo with dark blue knit over it with jeans and thick wooly coat over it. I put on my badge I just got it made 15 minutes ago. As I walked into the room there were 4 to 5 nurses sitting on the front desk and 3 doctors examining their patients. There were 9 to 10 open beds available each equipped with EKG machine and others. One female nurse asked me what I was doing. I said that I would be volunteering at this place from now on. They all said welcome and clapped their hands. I found this totally random but was relieved they welcomed me very receptively. Robert, the head nurse who was arranging with my volunteer service advisor to have me work at ER, shook hands with me and said "Welcome to ER!" Well the first thing Robert did was to take me back to the stock room and ask me "Do you know who are the best doctors?" I said "Aren't best doctors those that pay attention to every little need of a patient?" He said "No, the best doctor is a man who knows how to treat his nurses." I nodded and he told me that I should carry a note with me so that everytime I hear something I could write'em down. He handed me an index card and a pen and I proceeded to write down the following words: EKG and catheter to the top drawer...