Sunday, January 29, 2006

Prologue

I am a 23 years old pre-med student aspiring to become a general surgeon and one day set up a semi-profit practice in Africa preferably English speaking country such as Ghana. What's the point, you ask? Waul... it all started when I found out that being a religious person and being actively involved in religions didn't make any difference in a place where thirst and hunger are typical of daily life. What can a missionary do in front of a dying person? What can a doctor do in front of a dying person? The difference is tremendous. This I learned from the life of Albert Schweitzer. I believe that I have shared a similar experience with Schweitzer despite my study of religion and eschatology is nowhere in depth as his was. When he was just in his 20s, he published a book titled "The Quest of the Historical Jesus" which is a monumental work of his time on Christian eschatology and a very controversial book even by today's standard. He decided to become a doctor at age 30, when he already had his own post as a high ranking administrator in a theological college. Many people told him it was too late but he said that he was glad he was only 30 when he decided to do so.



My plan after attending medical school and going through residency is to practice in America until I turn 40 years old. One time this lady, who's a very successful businesswoman and a friend of my old teacher told me that people of my generation would be able to retire early, at age 40 or even earlier. After that I would be able to do anything I want. After I reach 40, I will go to the other side of the globe and practice there. I'm not only planning on serving as a doctor but also a health care administrator, public health consultant and a city planner of a town I will be living in. I would be able to not only take care of people's health but also transform their lives and surroundings.

Back to my present life, I am taking classes as a Biology major. I don't have a job right now but I work in a hospital(I cannot disclose the name) as a volunteer. It's already my fourth year in college and even two weeks ago I didn't have any hospital experience. Getting a volunteer position in a hospital is more tedious and difficult than getting a job at McDonalds. There are much more screening and selection requirements. I tried many different hospitals but it was to no avail. They held orientations few times a year and I heard that there were so many volunteers that it was still difficult to volunteer once you got accepted. I was lucky enough to get a position in the ER of this hospital which is one of the largest hospital in the city I live in.



On the first day I walked from the volunteer office to ER. I felt divine providence at work as I was walking...